Fri, Mar 25|
Villa Serena Inn
Silk & Quilt Workshop with Dawn Gerardot Putman
This project was such fun! We will be designing a small, quilted wall hanging. Once that is completed, we will paint a focal point of your choosing. We will then applique it to the quilt.
Time & Location
Mar 25, 2022, 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM EDT
Villa Serena Inn, 7014 Willow St, Sarasota, FL 34243, USA
About the event
This project was such fun! We will be designing a small, quilted wall hanging. Once that is completed, we will paint a focal point of your choosing. It could be a flower, animal, or whatever. We will then applique it to the quilt. There are NO patterns, so put your creative pantaloons on and get ready. For those who are already quilters, you’ll love the new approach and for the newbees to quilting, try it, it might be addictive.
WHAT TO BRING
- A sewing machine
- Coordinating fabrics of your choosing
- Threads, scissors, seam ripper, Light weight batting & Backing fabric
- rotary cutters, cutting board
- Silk Stretchers – Rental fee $5.00 OR BRING YOUR OWN
- Jacquard Dye na Flow (classroom supplied) @ $ 1.00 per oz. or buy you own
- Gutta – Jacquard Removable water-based resist - 2oz – purchase fee: $4.50 or buy your own
- Fineline Long Stem Applicator - purchase fee: $ 4.49 or buy your own
- Brushes: - various sizes suitable for watercolor. Minimum = 6 or 8 round - sable.
- Cookie sheet w/lip, old coffee cup, Kleenex
- Water Containers – 2 small as in yogurt or butter cups.
- Table salt: or other size salts you may have. Don’t go out and buy other sizes.
- Push Pins: 50 -100 (can buy at the Dollar Store) (NOT THUMB TACKS)
- Small hammer
- Mister: – as in a travel size hair spray bottle
- Several Colored sharpies: – the ultra-fine, ultra-small tips (whatever colors you like)
- Old Wash cloth: – to clear your brush of excess dye or water.
- 2 old bath towels
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Dawn Geradot Putman has appreciated and loved art her whole life. With a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of St. Francis, she began to actively pursue a career in fine art in 1995. The dominant medium base of her artwork is any combination of watercolors, inks, dyes, fluid acrylics, heavy body acrylics or pastels. She believes the beauty of these water-based & chalk-based materials is in their unpredictability: Dawn comments, “I love to observe what happens when paints mingle naturally on paper, canvas or silk. Although I control the amount of color to be distributed, wonderful accidents do happen, and these accidents are the reason for my fascination with water & chalk mediums. I truly believe in color and the brighter, the better. I know the Lord gave me a beautiful gift which I love to share. I love to color my world in His name.
Silk & Quilt Workshop$120.00